Down on the farm nothing quite says spring like some lemon curd! Especially with holidays such as Easter and Mother's Day. After all, it's brunch season!
Not only are lemons bright and fresh and fitting for the season of new life but diary on the farm is usually in full abundance. Mixing these two seasonal favorites together with some fresh picked, frozen blueberries hits the spot for a quick snack or light dessert!
This post contains affiliate links throughout. Translation: We get a little kick back for sharing certain products, at no additional cost to you, should you choose to purchase said items. And thank you for supporting our farm and family!
Here on the farm we make quite a lot of kefir. Kefir is a yogurt like drink, it's much thinner than yogurt put packs a lot more natural probiotic goodness and it has much less lactose than a yogurt. This is how we get our probiotics without taking them in capsules or supplements. The same could be said for the naturally fermented sour kraut, kombucha and kimchi.
Kefir is also a bit more sour, due to having less lactose, than yogurt so for this yummy recipe we have opted to use a good fermented yogurt instead. It makes it a bit more desert like rather than breakfast smoothie like.
Feel free to sub in kefir if you desire!
Not only does kefir and naturally fermented yogurt have less sugar (especially if made at home) but the lemon curd in this recipe is also made with maple syrup. Make sure you also grab the Sweet Maple Lemon Curd recipe here to make this parfait.
Did you know that 75% off your immune system gets turned off by eating processed sugar?
The best way to avoid that is to cut out processed sugars, and limit natural sugars that still contain the vitamins and minerals in them. Sucanat is one of them or using alternatives like molasses, maple syrup and raw honey.
Enough of the science-y stuff though, lets get to the grub!
Lemon Blueberry Mason Jar Parfaits
- 1 lemon curd recipe (found in link above recipe)
- 4 or 8 1/2 pint pint mason jars
- 2 Quarts organic yogurt of choice, homemade is best
- 1 - 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In each mason jar place about 1/4 cup of yogurt (cut ingredients in half if using 1/2 pint jars).
- Next layer in about 1/4 cup of lemon curd. Then 1/8 cup of fruit.
- After the fruit start with another 1/4 cup of yogurt, then repeat 1/4 lemon curd and 1/8 cup of fruit until you have filled each jar to the top. These measurements are suggestions and easily modified if you want more fruit, yogurt or lemon curd.
OK, so now I'm hungry! What about you?
To make this even tastier (is that possible) here are some other ideas to layer in with your parfaits:
- Crunchy Granola of Choice
- Sourdough Brownies
- Jill Winger's Cocoa Cream Filling
- Cranberry Sauce
- Blueberry Pie Filling
- Quick Strawberry Sauce
- Mt. Hope Farm's Fruit Spreads
Now I think have to go head to the kitchen and whip up a batch of this! What are you going to top your parfait with?
Are you getting weekly tips on all things herbal?
Growing, creating, recipes, herbal medicine tips, and more every week right to your inbox (including sales on herbal goodness!) Make sure you grab it here!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.